Monday, February 29, 2016

Epiphanies

Here are a few epiphanies I have learned since I left home and moved to Provo. I have a strong testimony of the truthfulness of these things.

1) There is no such thing as a Prince Charming.
2) Every relationship is different.
3) Kindness is dang attractive.
4) Communication is KEY.
5) You have divine potential. Be kind to yourself.
6) Happiness is a choice.
7) Working out and taking care of your physical body helps you better appreciate it.

It all comes back to this: TRUST IN THE LORD.

1) Ladies who believe in a Prince Charming...sorry to burst your bubble. But don't worry! I'm learning that it's just how life is and I'm learning that real life is much better than dreams anyway. I don't think there is any such thing as a SOULMATE...that is, UNTIL you get married.
Once I have made the decision to get engaged and my fiancé and I are sealed for time and all eternity in the House of the Lord, then we will forever be soulmates. I am so excited for that day! It will be so happy. It will be the beginning of a wonderful adventure and I want to prepare for it as much as I can. I think going on a mission will help a lot with that. So...

~Dear future husband,
I don't know who you're gonna end up being yet. But I love you and I pray for you.
And I am going on a mission right now for many reasons. Because I love the Lord and I want to serve Him. Because I believe that this is the true gospel and I want everyone to know about it. Because I want to learn and grow personally. And because I love you and I want to be the best possible wife to you and mother to our future kids someday. I know I don't know who you are yet exactly, but I trust my Father in Heaven and I know that someday things will work out with us. And I am SO looking forward to that someday :)
Con mucho amor,
Monica~

2) You learn something from all past relationships. And the lessons you learn will probably help you with the relationship that turns out to be the eternal one. Also, it can be fun and enlightening to talk to friends and family members about relationships. Hearing about experiences and examples (whether good or bad) from other people can help you to some extent. But remember that, ultimately, your relationships are between YOU, THE OTHER PERSON, AND GOD. Just remember that.
3) So be genuinely kind.
4) And be OPEN and HONEST. 
5) In high school I sometimes struggled with this. I knew that I was a daughter of God and that He loved me...but I would get down on myself sometimes because I didn't fit in. I never had a boyfriend. I never got asked out on a date. And I hated social gatherings - dances, parties, hang-outs, anything. Seriously. Sometimes I felt like no one liked me and no one ever would. I cared too much about what other people thought of me and it really messed me up for awhile. I rarely mustered the courage to say what I wanted to say or do what I wanted to do. I wasn't myself. But when I left Yuma, I was able to gradually overcome my weaknesses and learn to love myself and BE myself - no matter what other people might think of me. Believe me, it's a much happier way to be.
6) So CHOOSE to see the good and be the good.
7) Our bodies are AMAZING. Find something active that you love to do. And then embrace it! Whether it be running or swimming or yoga or hiking. Go for it. Not only does working out help you reach your body's full potential. But it also helps you come closer to God. When I run or workout, I am always made more aware of the amazing gift that my body is. Heavenly Father is the master creator and we are His greatest creations. I just love working out because it helps remind me of my gratitude to Him and I feel like it's my way of expressing my appreciation for such a wonderful gift.


"Only through opposition can we learn the lesson of mortality for eternity."
And because running can be hard, I've learned lots of lessons through my experiences with running. Here's an example of a metaphor for life that I came up with. My battle for abs is like me in life.
Confused? Let me explain. I work out fairly regularly. But nothing like when I was running for Cibola high school and BYU. At my peak (when I was a D1 college runner), I was running anywhere from 50 to 80 miles every week, doing ab workouts every other day, and lifting weights 2 or 3 times a week.
Yet, I have never had a six-pack. Not even close. The closest I've gotten is...when I flex my stomach, you can kinda sorta see a hint of something there.
I would always ask myself...WHY??
Here was my thought process: Well, I'm obviously doing enough cardio and strength training. I'm fueling my body and taking time for injury prevention and recovery. Why can I never attain the coveted washboard abs?
Well, here's why. I have a major sweet tooth. And I eat junk food whenever I get the chance.
That right there, is the reason. And possibly genetics plays a part too...idk.
Soooo what does this have to do with me in life?
Well, I'll tell you.
I know what I want. I know how to get it. But I don't put forth my very best effort all the time.
See?
I know what it takes to have a six-pack and I'm working really hard at it, but I also love food and occasionally binge-eat an entire bag of popcorn or 3 bowls of ice cream.
And just like that, I ALSO know exactly what it takes to achieve eternal life and be Christlike, but I struggle and I make mistakes and I fail. I am not perfect.
All that being said, I will probably never have a six-pack. My love for chocolate (outweighs...actually I won't say outweighs...but it definitely BALANCES out) my love for working out.
However, unlike my abs metaphor...
I do consider ETERNITY to be worth it.
Which is why I am going on a mission.
Sure, it's not the answer for everyone. But for me, at this time in my life, I know it's what I need to do to become the best that I can be.

3 comments:

  1. Monica, I am speechless at your maturity and your outlook on life. It's so wonderful to see how life experiences are making you better and not bitter. You truly are an inspiration and the people in Argentina will be so blessed to have you. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have always been a good example to me :) Te quiero!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete