Wednesday, November 11, 2015

'Tis the Season

Snow is sooooooo pretty. 
I was stoked when I saw that it is beginning to stick on those majestic mountains to the east.
Nature makes me think of two things. It always reminds me to be grateful to God for His work in creating this beautiful world. And it also often brings poetry to my mind. So, here's a poem for you on this frosty day.

Snow-flakes

BY HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW

Out of the bosom of the Air,
      Out of the cloud-folds of her garments shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
      Over the harvest-fields forsaken,
            Silent, and soft, and slow
            Descends the snow.

Even as our cloudy fancies take
      Suddenly shape in some divine expression,
Even as the troubled heart doth make
      In the white countenance confession,
            The troubled sky reveals
            The grief it feels.

This is the poem of the air,
      Slowly in silent syllables recorded;
This is the secret of despair,
      Long in its cloudy bosom hoarded,
            Now whispered and revealed
            To wood and field.

I love winter. I love ALL the seasons. They each have special and beautiful traditions and holidays and phases of nature related to them that are unique and fun. 
Today is November 11th. One tradition that I am not particularly a fan of - is No-Shave November. Don't get me wrong...if I were pretty much anywhere else, I would like it very much because I like a man with a good beard. My dad had a beard all the time when I was growing up and I loved it! Every night after family prayer we would kiss our parents good night on the cheek and my dad's beard would tickle my face. He recently started shaving and that's fine too. My dad is my dad. I love him no matter what. EVEN if he had a mustache. 
But because guys at BYU are not allowed to grow beards and therefore, those who participate in No-Shave November can only grow out their MUSTACHES (ew!)...I'm not a fan. Plus, I don't participate in it myself. I continue to shave my legs and armpits throughout the winter. You're welcome. I'm just not that lazy and I like having smooth legs, and in the case of BYU (and in light of the Honor Code), I like smooth faces too. 
One more thing. I do like No-Shave November for the fun of it. It's pretty humorous to see guys sporting mustaches when you have never before seen them grow out their facial hair. It makes for some good laughs. 
Ok, that's all. Now you know my opinion on No-Shave November. I'm sure you were dying to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment