Sunday, June 14, 2015

Uno mas

I love hymns.
Today was our first Sunday in our new ward and I found out that a group goes to a nursing home every Sunday and sings hymns to patients there.
So I went and I'm so glad I did. It was a good Sabbath activity, that's for sure. We met some wonderful people and were able to make their Sunday just a little brighter.
One man named Rob enjoyed our singing so much he asked us to sing "uno mas." He also asked a few of the priesthood-holders in the room for a blessing because he's been in a lot of pain recently. My heart went out to him. I sincerely hope he felt better after our visit, both in body and in spirit.
Rob and I must be kindred spirits. I'm actually not surprised that I have so much in common with an old man.
Thanks, Daddy! (Not that you're an old man...I just meant that you educated us on the classics ;)
So yeah, Rob was watching Vertigo (an Alfred Hitchcock movie with Jimmy Stuart) when we walked in and he had a a copy of Persuasion (by Jane Austen -  my favorite author) on his desk. He also complimented my shirt and another girl's dress several times so I know he's a big fan of stripes (like me). I've gradually been adding more and more stripes to my wardrobe since I discovered how much I like them.


And the hymns he chose for us to sing for him were some of my favorites.
Hymns contain such wonderful messages. Really pay attention to the lyrics next time you open a hymn book. Someday I am going to be old and alone in a nursing home and I hope youth come and sing hymns for me every now and then.
I think a lot about the future. That's one of the reasons I started this blog. I wish I had more pictures and writings from both of my parents' pasts, so I figure if my kids are anything like me (which I'm sure they will be since I am so much like my parents and that's just how it works...) then they'll enjoy looking through my blog archive in the future. Actually, I often think about my future children as I write.
So...to my future kiddos:
Just so you know, I already love you. Even though you are still spirits in heaven and I am not even married yet (or anywhere close to it)...I love you and I want what's best for you. That's why I am going to be sealed for time and all eternity in the temple to a worthy priesthood-holder someday. A family founded upon the gospel of Jesus Christ provides the best setting for us to grow and become more like our Savior and ultimately return to live with our Father in Heaven.

Hymns we sang for Rob:
129 Where Can I Turn for Peace?
220 Lord, I Would Follow Thee
131 More Holiness Give Me

No comments:

Post a Comment