Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers

To all women out there...
(for as Sheri L. Dew said, "Motherhood is more than bearing children...It is the essence of who we are as women.") 

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

One of the talks in my selected readings packet for LDS Marriage and Family is a talk by President Ezra Taft Benson from 1987. 
(Side note: I love this packet. I took this class 2 semesters ago, but I am going to keep it forever. It contains so many gold nuggets of wisdom. And they can be applied to anyone in any circumstances. I mean, getting married is less about finding the right person than it is about becoming the right person. And if it doesn't work out in this life, then it will in the next because Heavenly Father's promises are sure and all we can do is live righteously and be the best that we can be.)
Woah, that turned out to be a long side note...anywho, in his talk "To the Mothers in Zion," President Benson says, "No more sacred word exists in secular or holy writ than that of mother. There is no more noble work than that of a good and God-fearing mother." Powerful stuff right there. 

He goes on to quote David O. McKay, "Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world." 
Isn't that beautiful? It made tears come to my eyes just reading that and thinking about my own beautiful mother. She definitely made me feel loved. And I love her so much. 
And I love my grandmas too. I didn't get to know my Abuelita Elvira very well, but I know she was a wonderful mom. And Grammy K, I love you! I have you and your mad quilting skills to thank for my awesome t-shirt quilt. We put all of those XC, track, girls' camp, band, and youth conference shirts to good use. 

Mami, te quiero con todo mi corazón.

Mothers are the best.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment