Monday, March 9, 2015

Joshy

Turns out Elder Huston is coming home August 7th instead of June 26th. Bittersweet news, for sure. But it just means he gets to be in the service of the Lord for a bit longer. He'll be home before I know it!
Today in his email home he said Elder Renlund of the Seventy is visiting his mission and they've been studying several talks by Elder Bednar in preparation for Zone Conference.

"We studied a lot about conversion, praying with faith, and the importance of teaching AND learning by the Spirit. A statement that really hit me was 'Knowing that the gospel is true is the essence of testimony. Consistently being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion.'
As Mr. Akins would say, 'Facta Non Verba' - Deeds not Words."
                                                                   - Elder Huston

Mr. Akins was our 7th grade English teacher. He definitely made a positive impact on our lives. Josh, Diego, and I all won the reading contest in middle school when we were in his class. And Fiona also carried on the Huston legacy despite not having Mr. Akins as a teacher. Just to clarify...Mr. Akins did teach us a lot. But credit goes to my parents for instilling in us a love of reading. My mom would take us to story time at the library and my dad was always there to recommend good literature. I am so grateful for my parents and the good examples they were for me.

Side note:
Someone left a message on our vanity mirror. It's a flattering reminder to sMiLe :)









No comments:

Post a Comment