Sunday, February 15, 2015

Stayin' Alive

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive. That was my theme song this weekend.
Or "I'm a survivor/ I'm not gon' give up/ I'm not gon' stop/ I'm gon' work harder/ I'm a survivor/ I'm gonna make it/ I will survive/ Keep on survivin'"

I was worried about making it through this weekend. Why? Mainly because all of my roommates are out of town (with the exception of Kristi). Same with my teammates. They are all in ID, WA, or NM. But I was left behind. My time wasn't fast enough to travel again. Well, instead of letting this get me down, I used it to fuel my workouts. I will do all in my power to have an awesome outdoor track season.

So on Friday I did a workout on the track. By myself. I've come a long way. I told myself, I'm going to do 12 400s with 90 seconds recovery. Well, I did my 2 mile warm-up, put my flats on, and proceeded with my 400m repeats. I tried to keep my pace consistently between 77 and 80 second pace. After 4 laps, I told myself: "Just get to 6, you can do this. Just do one more, and then you'll only have one more after that." Lying is never okay. Except in this instance.
Well, after 6 I switched into spikes and kept going. Lap after lap after lap. Running is all about repetition. Just keep going. Keep pushing yourself. I gave myself my pump-up talk over and over. Finally, I was done. My last 400 was a 75 so I felt really good about my workout. It took a lot of self pep talk, but I did it.
I was reminded of a quote that was on the back of our XC shirts one year in high school. "Running is a mental sport and we're all insane." That's pretty accurate.


Then I went to the temple. Michael, the former ward choir director (now stake choir director), was kind enough to give me a ride there and back. It was wonderful. I haven't been in awhile and it was just what I needed. I know it was one of my New Year's resolutions to go every week, but sometimes life is hectic and I don't have a car. But I'm glad I was able to go and feel the peace and comfort that the Spirit brings. Definitely worth skipping my Spanish class.


After that I ran again and went to my ELANG class.
Okay, you'd think that after so many years of running so much, it would be easy. But that's not true. I still feel like a grandma sometimes. My body still feels those aches and pains that come along with running 75 miles a week. There are so many parallels with running and life. You'd think after all this time of being a Mormon, it would be easy to be a disciple of Christ. But that's not true either.
Yet despite all of our struggles - all of our ups and downs and plateaus - we can do it. Just keep going.
Anyway, that night I totally went out of my comfort zone and attended the service activity/dance party in the Clyde. I went. By myself. Man, I have come a looong way since high school.
I keep saying that. I'm just trying to celebrate all my little successes. They may seem insignificant to others, but they mean a lot to me. We screwed wheels onto these little wooden cars and wrote cards to send to kids in Zimbabwe. It was fun. I met up with a friend and joined her group and we went to the Lib square dance party too. I had some weird experiences, not worth mentioning here. Speaking of dance parties though, my little sister went to a stake dance in Wellton and danced EVERY dance. I was so proud when I heard that. So proud and so glad :)
Then on Saturday I slept in, went to stake conference, and ran 15 miles. Again, by myself. I glanced at my watch at one point, saw I was only at 6 miles, and almost died. I wasn't even halfway! But I just kept going. Luckily I took my phone with me so I had music to listen to.
After my long run, I did 5 pull-ups, walked home, did an ab workout, and ate food. Then I took a bath, relaxed, and did dishes. Music REALLY saved me this weekend. That and my family and stake conference.


The Sunday session was especially edifying. Probably because I was in a better mood and cuz Kristi agreed to sing in the choir with me. She is the best.
Here's what I learned from the many wonderful speakers:

Satisfaction to the soul comes through:
  • keeping the commandments of God
  • striving to become a better disciple of Christ
  • doing the will of the Lord
  • studying the scriptures - they are the word of God
  • showing charity towards others 
  • loving one another
  • working hard to improve
  • praying - having a good relationship with the Lord
  • relying on the Lord 
  • partaking of the sacrament 
  • thinking of the Savior and repenting
  • fasting with a purpose
  • going to the temple
(Some of these are more general, some are specific, and some are very similar, but they are all good to remember)
Other random notes: 
  • "Be not afraid; only believe."
  • "Religions teach men to be good. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches us to be perfect." Perfect as in whole and complete through Christ, our Savior and Redeemer. 
  • "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."
  • One guy shared a story of a time when he noticed a girl shuffling along the sidewalk with tears streaming down her face. He was on the phone with his mom, but he told her he had to go and then turned to the girl and said, "I see that you're sad. And that makes me sad. Want to go get some ice cream?" As they ate ice cream and talked, he found out that her brother had passed away 3 weeks ago and she had cried every day since then. 
This story really struck me. The world needs more people like him. More people like Christ. I want to work on this: Look outward. Mourn with those that mourn. Be a friend. Love one another.
Tommy did this for me. He sent me kisses via Facetime and told me he'd be my Valentine.
If I could have any superpower, I would choose teleportation. That way I could go home whenever I wanted. 

Well, I did make it through this weekend. With help.
Happy Friday the 13th, Happy Valentine's Day, and Happy Birthday to AZ! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment