Monday, February 23, 2015

Farewell, Love

I've had to read quite a bit of old poetry lately for ENG 291 (my least favorite class).
This is the first thing we've read that I've actually enjoyed. To be fair, I haven't actually read much for this class.
Buut...poems are short and I had to do a presentation on Sir Thomas Wyatt and I have to memorize a poem sooo...yeah.
Here's my favorite so far, a sonnet by Wyatt.

Farewell, Love
Farewell, Love, and all thy laws forever,
Thy baited hooks shall tangle me no more;
Senec and Plato call me from thy lore,
To perfect wealth my wit for to endeavor.
In blind error when I did persever,
Thy sharp repulse, that pricketh aye* so sore,                *always
Hath taught me to set in trifles no store,*                       *value
And 'scape forth since liberty is lever.*                          *more pleasing, dearer
Therefore farewell, go trouble younger hearts,
And in me claim no more authority;
With idle youth go use thy property,*                              *do what you characteristically do
And thereon spend thy many brittle darts.*                      *arrows
For hitherto though I have lost all my time,
Me lusteth* no longer rotten boughs to climb.                 *I care

Doesn't that just warm your heart?
Yeah, not mine either. I just thought it was funny. No, that's not the right word...clever? relatable? (I mean, let's face it. Sometimes love stinks.) Well, it's something. And I'm gonna memorize it.

Completely unrelated side tangent:
I wore this shirt today and got so many questions and comments about it. I will remember never to wear it again unless I feel like talking. A lot. Well, more than usual, I mean.
I can see how it can catch the eye.

One guy just said he liked my shirt, but most people wanted to know why my shirt says this, so here's what I eventually whittled my explanation down to:
The first guy I dated was in a band (I'd point to the bottom) called the Genuine Gentlemen. And this (I'd point to the "KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON") was one of their songs.
Sometimes this would spark an interesting remark or two.

Anyway here's a longer explanation:
My first boyfriend, Scott, was the lead singer in a band. It was a clever advertising move for them to make this t-shirt. I talked to at least 7 people about the Genuine Gentlemen today. And the numbers would've probably increased had it not been cold outside.
Here's their song:

Scott was a genuine gentleman. He even wrote me a song. It's super cheesy and I am not posting it on here for anyone to listen to. 
Scott, if you ever read this: don't worry that I called your song cheesy. Girls like cheesy. 
He's on a mission now in Chile. His parents update his blog which I check every now and then to see how he's doing.
He gave me a rose after one of my races where I ran unattached.
I still have it. See, what did I tell you? Girls are cheesy. Plus I am also kind of a packrat. I treasure things with sentimental value and keep them for a looong time. This was the first rose I've ever received from a guy! 
You know what, I don't have to justify my weirdness to anyone. This is MY blog after all. So I'm just gonna embrace it.

Exhibit A:
My little pillow.
Some things, like this pillow I made in my Activity Day days, I will never throw out. I cross-stitched this thing when I was like 8 years old. Well, between 8 and 12...I can't remember. 
It used to say "I am a Child of God." I've had to fix it up a few times - adding new stuffing, resewing new fabric on the back, etc. I guess it's time I put some tender love and care into the front of it though.
It accompanies me on most of my trips so it's gone through a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment