Thursday, December 4, 2014

Gratitude Journal

I've always wanted to start a gratitude journal, but I never have...until yesterday! I was on my solo morning run and was thinking out loud* about all that I have to be grateful for and I realized there are SO many things to be grateful for! I felt so blessed and so happy just thinking about it all so I decided to write it down. Because, you know what, writing things down helps you in so many ways. You put your thoughts down on paper which makes you excited because you are actually DOING something with all those thoughts swirling around in your head and then you have a physical record of those thoughts AND THEN flash forward a couple months or years and eventually you stumble upon that physical record (e.g. journal) and can feel those same feelings of excitement and gratitude and happiness all over again!! It's wonderful. This is why I love writing. And reading.

All of the above not only explains my decision to begin a gratitude journal, but also my decision to start my own blog. It's not something I ever imagined myself doing in a million years. But really, the same principles apply...only digitally! Now I can keep a record of my thoughts, pictures, and experiences online. I'm pretty pumped!

*side note: I try to run where there aren't many people around, but if anyone does happen to see me, I'm sure they think I'm absolutely crazy. When I say "thinking out loud," I mean it. I literally talk to myself and my Heavenly Father as I run. That's one of the (many, MANY, MANY) reasons I love to run. It provides me with so much time to ponder things and communicate with God.

...So what am I grateful for??
Here's the beginning of my gratitude journal: I am grateful for..................
1. RUNNING. Shocker, I know. But really, it is such a spectacular thing. It makes me happy and provides time for me to meditate and pray to my Heavenly Father (as aforementioned). It helps me take care of my body and stay in shape and feel good about myself. It gives me an opportunity to meet new people and make lasting friendships (my running buddies/teammates are stellar!). It has helped me learn so many life lessons like setting goals and working hard to achieve them, being patient through injury, giving my very best effort and putting my whole heart into the things I love, and so much more.
2. My Savior and older brother, Jesus Christ. He atoned for my sins and helps me become better than I could ever be on my own. He helps me accomplish my goals and recognize my blessings.
3. This beautiful world. It is magnificent. On the morning that inspired this whole gratitude journal fun, I was especially grateful for the nice, cool morning, the beautiful mountains, and trees! Nature is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. (Another reason I love to run - I get to enjoy nature!)

That's all for now, but I will continue to blog about things I am grateful for by adding to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment